The vision of the SoBRC is “to become a reliable center of small business incubation through provision of excellence entrepreneurial knowledge and resources base for business opportunity (creation, expansion, and success) for all stages of the business cycle”.
The mission of SoBRC is “to strengthen the competence based training and learning abilities of business students and staff through provision of unlimited access to state-of-the-art educational resources; mentorship consultations and a business world interaction hub all aimed at filling the knowledge gap in delivering and acquiring business education and skills”.
The SoBRC believes on: People; Transparency; Entrepreneurial spirit/skills; Professionalism; and Team work.
- People: Its people who becomes entrepreneurs, and its people in the business center who operates the center, thus people is our enduring advantage because they are the product, price, organization and quality. Its people who causes differences on products, organizations, structures, services, processes etc despite of having the same inputs and resources. Thus, the center will value people most because “Peoples makes the difference”
- Transparency: The center will operate and equally share information to all stakeholders, (partners and entrepreneurs in particular) freely and openly. This will not only bring trust to the center, but also will minimize risks of investment and operation. Since partners want to be sure of safety for their resources, entrepreneurs needs to trust the unit (center) they are dealing with, the government wants to be sure for property safety of its people; and the university wants to be sure that the center is in the right direction. “Always operate, decide, act, and do openly and truly”
- Entrepreneurial skills/spirit: parties involved in the core activities of the center should prove or show their entrepreneurial competences, not limited but to include: need for achievement (commitment); risk-taking propensity; self efficacy; tolerance for ambiguity; locus of control; goal setting; tenacity; patience; pro-active; creative and innovative; and passion.
- Professionalism: The center will value and live the importance of both knowledge and skills towards entrepreneurial success. Thus law will be for lawyers; accounting for accountants; management for managers; and marketing for marketers.
- Team working: The center believes in synergisms (results or output of two people together is greater than the total output of the same two separately). Working in teams will be as important as the core for center success. Without team work you cannot get mentors, shared resources, funding, and thus the center itself. “Together we can; Lets grow together”
The major objective of the SOBRC is to grow to business incubator for sustainable entrepreneurship. This will be achieved through the following specific objectives:
i. Improve access of relevant and practical information to university and outside stakeholders
ii. To stimulate and incubate new star-ups enhance the capacity of entrepreneurs (Mzumbe graduates and other interesting stakeholders) in starting and expanding business ventures.
iii. To establish a network of coaches and mentors to support the entrepreneurs
iv. To be center for excellent in the region in offering state of art training to business solutions
v. To strengthen competitiveness and growth of established ventures (With annual income of less than 100 million Tanzanian Shillings)
vi. To be a center for stimulating and promoting business innovation solutions
The center is organized by three key people; Head of the center; Training and resources coordinator; and Help desk officer. The organizational structure for the SoBRC is as presented in figure below